If God is real, why is there pain and suffering in the world?
Many people who deny the Lord ask, “If there’s a God than why is there so much pain, sickness, suffering and violence in the world?” Well, the pain and suffering and all bad things isn’t because of what God did, it’s because of what man did.
Make no mistake, God will comeback and destroy all evil and He will heal all of His children. But He is patient and He is allowing things to pass and allowing more time to pass for people to come to Him.
God created us with free will, not to be robots, but to make choices. He gave us freedom and freedom to choose. God made only one rule in the garden of Eden, God said, “but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” –Genesis 2:17. But the enemy of God, and you, the enemy who hates us, lied to man and tricked man into making a choice that separated man from God.
‘Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves coverings.’ Genesis 3:4-7
This choice condemned us to death, physically and spiritually. “but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” The last part, “you shall surely die”, God could have simply said, “you shall die” but He said, “you shall surely die.” The Hebrew original translation of ‘surely die’ is ‘die die’, meaning two deaths, spiritually and physically. The sin separated us from God spiritually and with this spiritual death our bodies cannot survive so we die physically later. Illness, Sickness, disease, cancers, handicaps, etc., all come in different forms of physical death. Not because of what God did but because of what man did.
A Christian fundamental is we are made up of three things:
– Spirit: this is what’s in our hearts, this is what God sees.
– Soul: this is our mind, and through our minds the enemy attacks us. We’ve all thought things, done things that goes against God. We get attacked here.
– Flesh: we get attacked here, the flesh always wants to be pleased, right? Alcohol, drugs, sex… We’ve all done things with our flesh that goes against God. We get attacked here.
Here’s an interesting perspective- You’ve heard of lost souls? You’ve heard that we only use 10% of our brains? If evolution is real then why did we develop these big brains that we’re not using? Adam was brilliant before the sin entered the world. God brought every living creature before Adam for him to name, Adam was brilliant. So where did the other 90% of our brain use go? This is the spiritual death that sin brought, lost souls = we lost the other 90% use of our brains. Fear came, Adam and Eve were afraid for the first time. Fear is not of God, fear is satan coming against you. God is love and love conquers all fear. Jesus is love, Jesus conquers satan and fear. You conquer satan when you trust in the Lord.
God does love us and He did something to save us from spiritual death, to save us to Himself. God came in the flesh, He is rich but became poor so we could be rich. Jesus on the cross and His spilled blood is the ritual that WILL save us when we complete it. He gave us a way out.
Make no mistake, God will comeback and destroy all evil and He will heal all of His children. But He is patient and He is allowing things to pass and allowing more time to pass for people to come to Him. He gave us a choice, we need to choose wisely.
Is life hard? Yes. Jesus doesn’t say we won’t have trouble, He doesn’t say we might have trouble, He tells us we will have trouble:
“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33
If we have Jesus and trust Him, we also overcome the world full of pain and suffering.
The brokenness of the world isn’t because of what God did, it’s because of what man did. God created us with free will. We have choices in this life, our choices count and they make a difference of life or death. These decisions will impact our lives for a long time to come, even into eternity.
Is this easy to understand? No, but we don’t have the capacity to understand everything about how God works and how He plans things. And the enemy is constantly distracting us from the Truth.
Let’s have Hope, let’s be of good cheer and overcome the world, we have the choice.